The HI-Light programme is designed to support the holistic development of children by nurturing in them values, social and emotional skills and learning dispositions, as well as knowledge and skills across the following five learning areas through an integrated approach:
- Aesthetics and Creative Expression
- Discovery of the World
- Language and Literacy
- Motor Skills Development
- Social and Emotional Development
Starlight Literacy Programme
Early Childhood Literacy
Language learning is a dynamic and ongoing process that begins in infancy and early childhood and continues throughout the schooling years. In early childhood, the focus is on developing children’s listening and speaking skills. An active, interactive approach helps to nurture children’s interest in learning languages.
We will use Big Books, songs, rhymes and games to help your child to:
- Develop listening, speaking and early literacy skills.
- Enjoy English and their Mother Tongue Language (MTL) (i.e. Chinese, Malay or Tamil language).
- Communicate with confidence.
- Learn about local customs and traditions.
MTL and bilingualism
Bilingualism is a cornerstone of Singapore’s education system. Learning our MTL gives us direct access to our cultural heritage, and can help us better understand our values, roots and identities.
At MK, we nurture bilingualism by focusing on listening, speaking and engaging children in games and activities that encourage early literacy development.
By using their MTL to communicate with teachers and their friends on a daily basis, children build a strong foundation that will prepare them for language learning in later years.
Weeks of Wonder (WoW Project)
Each term at MOE Kindergarten (MK) culminates in a Weeks of Wonder (WoW) project. In a year, children complete 2 WoW projects in English and another 2 in their Mother Tongue Language (MTL). Children will work together with their friends on a topic of their choice.
Through WoW projects, children learn how to:
- Make their own decisions.
- Develop problem-solving, process and investigative skills.
- Collaborate with one another.
- Communicate effectively in English and their MTL.
Through the process of finding answers to their own questions, WoW projects allow children to:
- Experience the joy of self-motivated learning.
- Build their confidence.
- Strengthen their learning dispositions or positive behaviours and attitudes towards learning.